On Trends and Women
Disclaimer: The following contains broad generalizations. The author in no way intends to infer that these statements are absolute truths. This is why they are called 'generalizations.'
What is it about our culture that conditions women to look and act years below their actual age? This thought came to me while watching Vertigo, which features a 25-year-old Kim Novak portraying a 26-year-old character. But if you had asked me how old she was, I would have said mid-30s minimum. She was a woman, in the 50s sense of the word. She was poised and graceful, yet mysterious - a classic Hitchcock femme fatale (more on this later). Of course, Jimmy Stewart was twice Novak's age at the time - which is creepy considering the whole infatuation thing - but this may have also made Novak appear older. Regardless, I was amazed at how most of Hollywood's leading ladies seemed far older than their actual ages. For example, Grace Kelly was only 25 when she made Rear Window...you know, maybe women just seem older when Hitchcock makes them stand next to Jimmy Stewart.
But compare that era to today. Actresses in their 30s act like they are in their 20s and those in their 20s act like teenagers. I think actresses over 40 might be put in an incinerator, but this is based on purely circumstantial evidence. The most recent attempt of a young actress portraying someone older was Natalie Portman in Closer. I thought she did a pretty good job considering that this was essentially her first 'adult' role. And I think that those who did not like her performance just could not get past the fact that Queen Amidala was stripping. That's not Natalie's fault, and it's about time she made a step forward in her career - she's not a teenager anymore. But that's the problem - she, and actresses her age, are still seen as teenagers.
Its not just actresses. I use them because they are our culture's approximation of how women should look and act, whether we like it or not. For some reason, we - and I use the royal 'we' -suspend women in some sort of physical and emotional purgatory. We basically want every woman to look 21, as if this is a woman's peak of physical attractiveness. Even more troubling is that we want them to act like 21 year olds....right up to when they turn 35, at which point, they better have a well-paying job because we're not buying them drinks anymore.
Whose fault is this? Well, one could blame 'society.' Men have been conditioned to want this and women have been conditioned to provide it, blah blah blah. I hesitate to assign fault or blame because its really impossible to do so. But, I will relate this back to Vertigo.
Hitchcock originally wanted Vera Miles to star in the film, but she got pregnant, so he hired Novak. He coached Novak meticulously, as he did with all of his actresses. Not to take away from her performance, but it is equal parts acting and doing exactly what Hitchcock instructed. This is knowingly reflected in the film when Jimmy Stewart instructs his new ladyfriend to act and look exactly like his lost love. Stewart's character, like Hitchcock, has an idealized image in his head and he forces it upon a woman until she finally relents. (I am not the first one to put forth this view of Vertigo - this is a common interpretation.) And we continue to do the same today.
Somehow, in some way, 21 became the age for which all women should aspire. Who forced it on them? When did they relent? I don't know. All I know is that, while watching Vertigo, I wondered why a 25 year old woman seemed so old. And I realized, maybe it wasn't her. Maybe it's me.
What is it about our culture that conditions women to look and act years below their actual age? This thought came to me while watching Vertigo, which features a 25-year-old Kim Novak portraying a 26-year-old character. But if you had asked me how old she was, I would have said mid-30s minimum. She was a woman, in the 50s sense of the word. She was poised and graceful, yet mysterious - a classic Hitchcock femme fatale (more on this later). Of course, Jimmy Stewart was twice Novak's age at the time - which is creepy considering the whole infatuation thing - but this may have also made Novak appear older. Regardless, I was amazed at how most of Hollywood's leading ladies seemed far older than their actual ages. For example, Grace Kelly was only 25 when she made Rear Window...you know, maybe women just seem older when Hitchcock makes them stand next to Jimmy Stewart.
But compare that era to today. Actresses in their 30s act like they are in their 20s and those in their 20s act like teenagers. I think actresses over 40 might be put in an incinerator, but this is based on purely circumstantial evidence. The most recent attempt of a young actress portraying someone older was Natalie Portman in Closer. I thought she did a pretty good job considering that this was essentially her first 'adult' role. And I think that those who did not like her performance just could not get past the fact that Queen Amidala was stripping. That's not Natalie's fault, and it's about time she made a step forward in her career - she's not a teenager anymore. But that's the problem - she, and actresses her age, are still seen as teenagers.
Its not just actresses. I use them because they are our culture's approximation of how women should look and act, whether we like it or not. For some reason, we - and I use the royal 'we' -suspend women in some sort of physical and emotional purgatory. We basically want every woman to look 21, as if this is a woman's peak of physical attractiveness. Even more troubling is that we want them to act like 21 year olds....right up to when they turn 35, at which point, they better have a well-paying job because we're not buying them drinks anymore.
Whose fault is this? Well, one could blame 'society.' Men have been conditioned to want this and women have been conditioned to provide it, blah blah blah. I hesitate to assign fault or blame because its really impossible to do so. But, I will relate this back to Vertigo.
Hitchcock originally wanted Vera Miles to star in the film, but she got pregnant, so he hired Novak. He coached Novak meticulously, as he did with all of his actresses. Not to take away from her performance, but it is equal parts acting and doing exactly what Hitchcock instructed. This is knowingly reflected in the film when Jimmy Stewart instructs his new ladyfriend to act and look exactly like his lost love. Stewart's character, like Hitchcock, has an idealized image in his head and he forces it upon a woman until she finally relents. (I am not the first one to put forth this view of Vertigo - this is a common interpretation.) And we continue to do the same today.
Somehow, in some way, 21 became the age for which all women should aspire. Who forced it on them? When did they relent? I don't know. All I know is that, while watching Vertigo, I wondered why a 25 year old woman seemed so old. And I realized, maybe it wasn't her. Maybe it's me.

3 Comments:
Yo, it's Nick S.
I think your prospectus on women was good, but I think it could be shored up in one way. Oh, and I've never seen Vertigo.
Girls don't just try to look physically younger. They try to act like vapid, ambivalent nymphettes. The Jessica Simpson/Paris
Hilton-ization of society is making it desirable to not know what is going on. Maturity is, like, so out(t) and, because of that, the skirts go up and the IQs go down, because that is what society (men) ascent to. Don't forget rap.. Girls go around humming about milkshakes and candyshops, watching ass-fat jiggle on MTV2 (because MTV doesn't have videos anymore).
There needs to be a redefinition of beauty. Girls grow up learning to be idiots by idolizing idiots, and therefore, look and act like sluts. There, somehow, needs to be a rolemodel who is hot, elegant and classy, but not archaic and boring. How can a woman develop when the media beats the idea into her head that exposed skin and hottness are a direct relationship. Without a rolemodel in mainstream society, it might be up to (gasp) the parents to do something about it.
Still, this could be reversed with an influx of Natalie Portmans and Scarlett Johannsons and a rejection of Hillary Duff and Ashlee Simpson. I hope so, because those girls are fucking retards.
P.S. I love The Price is Right.
Speaking of trends, I want to change the subject a little bit. The trend I'm worried about is drinking.
Now, I can understand having a beer or two every year or three in a while (but never two years in a row). I just can't fathom, however, why anyone would want to drink enough to dull their senses, God forbid, speak out of turn! Perhaps we can move back towards a time where even so-called "social drinking" could get you branded with a scarlet D.
Will B. -- no, wait -- W. Burns
21? I am not even so sure we want women to look that old. Very few would consider Natalie Portman to represent most 21 year olds. Society seems to demand women who have girlish bodies. I discovered this last summer at the beach when I commented to my buds on a hot girl only to discover she was 11. Since when do 11 year olds have the perfect body?
Nick S. may be on the right track with Scarlet Johannson though. Finally a woman who looks like a WOMAN.
Post a Comment
<< Home