The Endorsement: Luby's Buffet
There was a time when cafeterias ruled the dining plant. The horizon and most shopping malls were dotted with such venerable institutions as Wyatt's, Picadilly's, and of course, Luby's. As is the custom of most Anglo-Saxon Protestants in the South, my childhood Sundays were spent walking the line at the neighborhood Luby's, picking up a LuAnn platter of baked cod, mac and cheese, a buttery roll, a pickle spear and an iced tea, with a slice of apple pie to top it off. What I didn't realize is that that simple Sunday lunch cost $8 in 1984 dollars...easily $9.73 today. My Luby's experience was soured upon learning the concept of fiscal responsibility.
But no longer.
There are only a handful of them, but Luby's has begun to embrace the buffet. $8 for all you can eat. Sure, you don't really eat that much, but its just knowing that you could if you wanted to. Liver and Onions? No thanks, I already have some chicken, but it's nice to know it's available at no additional charge. You can pile four of five rolls the size of your head onto you plate, grab a bowlful of beet salad, and two servings of spinach. Naturally, I am still repulsed by about half of what Luby's has on the menu, but the old people at the table next to me love it, and I am sure I will be in their shoes once I retire at 33.
But no longer.
There are only a handful of them, but Luby's has begun to embrace the buffet. $8 for all you can eat. Sure, you don't really eat that much, but its just knowing that you could if you wanted to. Liver and Onions? No thanks, I already have some chicken, but it's nice to know it's available at no additional charge. You can pile four of five rolls the size of your head onto you plate, grab a bowlful of beet salad, and two servings of spinach. Naturally, I am still repulsed by about half of what Luby's has on the menu, but the old people at the table next to me love it, and I am sure I will be in their shoes once I retire at 33.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home