Monday, November 15, 2004

The Indefensible Position: Romantic Films Are Good

I have mentioned my general distaste for American filmmaking a few times, and for the most part, I stick by it. Too often, American films place hype and style over quality and substance. Even "indpendent" films are guilty of this, as they try to prove how weird they can be instead of telling a good story.

Not every studio movie is a bad one, but the majority are. But even I have a weakness when it comes to bad American films: I like romances - comedies and dramas, though most are comedies. I admit it. Up until this point, I have been pretty hypocritical about it (sorry, Sam). I have quickly changed the channel when a roommate has walked in during "Down With Love," which, by the way, is absolutely hilarious. But I will say it now: I like them. "Two Weeks Notice" - ridiculous, but I loved it. "Runaway Bride" - ludicrous, but I'll watch it when it comes on TNT five nights in a row.

There are even romantic films that are also pretty damn good. Two of the best movies of the last couple of years have been romances: "Love Actually", which is unabashedly romantic, and "Amelie", which could fit into many genres, but is essentially a romance.

But the one that gets me, and even I can't believe that I like it, is "A Walk to Remember." This movie is sappy, filled with cliches, and Shane West couldn't act his way out of a paper bag (but he sure can furrow his brow in harmless rebellion). And yet, I love it. Of course, I weep like a schoolgirl when Mandy Moore dies of leukemia, but the impromptu wedding also makes me tear up. Its a sad, sad movie, but it's romantic as hell. And for reasons unbeknownst to me, I like it.

You can say whatever you want about my admission, but you know you secretly like them too. So just fess up - you'll feel better about yourself. Something about these movies makes you feel good, despite knowing that they are terrible. What's so bad about that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home