Robert W. Elson, Jr.: An Appreciation
I don't know about your college experience, but mine was a good one. One of the things I marvel at is the fact that most of my closest friends from undergrad came from my junior and senior years. The people that I spent the most time with during my first two years slowly drifted apart as we found our respective niches. This is why I have a special appreciation for Robert W. "Bobby" Elson, Jr.
Bobby lived a few doors down from me on the third floor of Penland Hall during the 2000-2001 school year. He was one of the few young men that I didn't want to hit in the face, perhaps because he was always grinning like a fool. There was never a dull moment with Bobby around. When tennis players had the nerve to play next to our dorm at 11 pm, Bobby was the first in line to throw water balloons. Need a mattress stolen from your worthless roommate's bed? Bobby was there. He organized the third floor food fight, bailed his roommate out of jail, and never met a freshman girl he didn't like....even when he was a senior.
Sophomore year, he lived across the street. So many an evening was spent wasting time and trying to convince the girls next door to cook us dinner. Much revelry was had and merriment made. He also dated this girl at Mary Hardin-Baylor that sucked the fun out of the room.
Junior year, Bobby kind of wandered off the reservation, as we call it. We put his picture on milk cartons....but we basically assumed he would wander back home, as puppies tend to do.
Senior year, he did just that. It was good to have Bob back again, mainly because he would ignore the other patrons while he sat with us at the restaurant he worked at and give us cheap beer. Plus, I've never met a man who invited so much awkardness into the room. If someone did something stupid, he would point it out to everyone - loudly. If, say, a group of drunk, 50-year-old women starting talking to his table at a bar, Bobby would do things like scream each time they touched him, or dare them to kiss his friends. Yeah, we loved him for that.
Bobby is graduating a week from Saturday and to be honest, I am amazed he made it. I mean, I was there when he didn't go to Chemistry for an entire semester. So, here's to you, Bob......if you screw up and piss Katie off, I will personally kick your ass. Love you, bud.
Bobby lived a few doors down from me on the third floor of Penland Hall during the 2000-2001 school year. He was one of the few young men that I didn't want to hit in the face, perhaps because he was always grinning like a fool. There was never a dull moment with Bobby around. When tennis players had the nerve to play next to our dorm at 11 pm, Bobby was the first in line to throw water balloons. Need a mattress stolen from your worthless roommate's bed? Bobby was there. He organized the third floor food fight, bailed his roommate out of jail, and never met a freshman girl he didn't like....even when he was a senior.
Sophomore year, he lived across the street. So many an evening was spent wasting time and trying to convince the girls next door to cook us dinner. Much revelry was had and merriment made. He also dated this girl at Mary Hardin-Baylor that sucked the fun out of the room.
Junior year, Bobby kind of wandered off the reservation, as we call it. We put his picture on milk cartons....but we basically assumed he would wander back home, as puppies tend to do.
Senior year, he did just that. It was good to have Bob back again, mainly because he would ignore the other patrons while he sat with us at the restaurant he worked at and give us cheap beer. Plus, I've never met a man who invited so much awkardness into the room. If someone did something stupid, he would point it out to everyone - loudly. If, say, a group of drunk, 50-year-old women starting talking to his table at a bar, Bobby would do things like scream each time they touched him, or dare them to kiss his friends. Yeah, we loved him for that.
Bobby is graduating a week from Saturday and to be honest, I am amazed he made it. I mean, I was there when he didn't go to Chemistry for an entire semester. So, here's to you, Bob......if you screw up and piss Katie off, I will personally kick your ass. Love you, bud.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home