.076: A Samuel R. Dagley Retrospective
This is the second of a two-part series.
There is an organization at Baylor called Student Foundation. It's closest analogy at UT is probably Texas Cowboys, only Student Foundation (known as StuFu) has girls and lacks the homoerotic undertones. StuFu is basically the only worthwhile organization at Baylor. It lacks the superficial garbage of Greek life and the self-satisfaction of student government. The people in StuFu work hard and get things done - we raise money for student scholarships, recruit students to Baylor, and put on campus-wide events throughout the year. I mention this because I have no idea why this organization accepted both myself and Sam Dagley.
Sam and I met our junior year while on the Financial Affairs committee of StuFu. We didn't speak to each other much, partly due to the fact that he was always with a certain blonde that turned out to be the spawn of a homosexual affair between Hitler and Stalin. For my part, I was caught up in an international spy ring involving child labor at hidden borcite mines in Paraguay, so I am sure I wasn't the friendliest person.
Sam and I finally became friends our senior year. He had ditched the blonde - though she still called, which was humorous for me and painful for Sam - but the real reason we started to hang out was probably because I was now in charge of Sam's committee and Sam sucks up to people in power. We bonded instantly when it was discovered that we both enjoyed the same things: making fun of people, drinking beer, and making fun of people while drinking beer.
Over the past twelve months, I have enjoyed many an adventure with Samuel - "24 Hours in Shreveport," Tigger-gate, deep-frying whole turkeys - but the thing we will be remembered for will be as the guys who threw the classiest party in the history of 22-year olds throwing classy parties.
First of all, we sent out invitations. Actual printed invitations. And we only invited guys. We mandated that they bring two things: a bottle of liquor and a woman. And they had to wear a jacket and tie (of course). This actually required some of our friends to purchase jackets and ties - that's how much people wanted to come.
Fifty of our closest friends arrived with dates in tow. We relaxed on the veranda overlooking Lake Waco (yeah, there's a lake), while the men, and the brave women, smoked cigars. We listened to Dizzy Gillespie and drank ridiculous amounts of brandy and cognac. At one point, we lost a few people in the gazebo because they couldn't make it back up the stairs, but we found them a few days later, lost in the ivy.
In the end, no one got arrested, though Luke Dill passed out in the front seat of his car while it was running. And it resulted in perhaps one of the all-time great exchanges: "Is it wrong to bring a girl just because you know she wants you?" "No, of course not."
Sam is the kind of man who understands that when your friends don't hate your girlfriend, you should probably hang on to her. Even if it means putting off law school. He also understands that you can ask "What are my options?" when faced with a Breathalyzer. Plus, he is considered royalty in remote parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
So, lift your glass to Sam Dagley, who graduates on the 18th. I won't mention that he would have graduated in August had he not turned in a blank exam in Intermediate Macroeconomics back in May, I will just say that I am proud of him for finally getting out of Waco. He would say that, while he loves Baylor, it couldn't come soon enough.
There is an organization at Baylor called Student Foundation. It's closest analogy at UT is probably Texas Cowboys, only Student Foundation (known as StuFu) has girls and lacks the homoerotic undertones. StuFu is basically the only worthwhile organization at Baylor. It lacks the superficial garbage of Greek life and the self-satisfaction of student government. The people in StuFu work hard and get things done - we raise money for student scholarships, recruit students to Baylor, and put on campus-wide events throughout the year. I mention this because I have no idea why this organization accepted both myself and Sam Dagley.
Sam and I met our junior year while on the Financial Affairs committee of StuFu. We didn't speak to each other much, partly due to the fact that he was always with a certain blonde that turned out to be the spawn of a homosexual affair between Hitler and Stalin. For my part, I was caught up in an international spy ring involving child labor at hidden borcite mines in Paraguay, so I am sure I wasn't the friendliest person.
Sam and I finally became friends our senior year. He had ditched the blonde - though she still called, which was humorous for me and painful for Sam - but the real reason we started to hang out was probably because I was now in charge of Sam's committee and Sam sucks up to people in power. We bonded instantly when it was discovered that we both enjoyed the same things: making fun of people, drinking beer, and making fun of people while drinking beer.
Over the past twelve months, I have enjoyed many an adventure with Samuel - "24 Hours in Shreveport," Tigger-gate, deep-frying whole turkeys - but the thing we will be remembered for will be as the guys who threw the classiest party in the history of 22-year olds throwing classy parties.
First of all, we sent out invitations. Actual printed invitations. And we only invited guys. We mandated that they bring two things: a bottle of liquor and a woman. And they had to wear a jacket and tie (of course). This actually required some of our friends to purchase jackets and ties - that's how much people wanted to come.
Fifty of our closest friends arrived with dates in tow. We relaxed on the veranda overlooking Lake Waco (yeah, there's a lake), while the men, and the brave women, smoked cigars. We listened to Dizzy Gillespie and drank ridiculous amounts of brandy and cognac. At one point, we lost a few people in the gazebo because they couldn't make it back up the stairs, but we found them a few days later, lost in the ivy.
In the end, no one got arrested, though Luke Dill passed out in the front seat of his car while it was running. And it resulted in perhaps one of the all-time great exchanges: "Is it wrong to bring a girl just because you know she wants you?" "No, of course not."
Sam is the kind of man who understands that when your friends don't hate your girlfriend, you should probably hang on to her. Even if it means putting off law school. He also understands that you can ask "What are my options?" when faced with a Breathalyzer. Plus, he is considered royalty in remote parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
So, lift your glass to Sam Dagley, who graduates on the 18th. I won't mention that he would have graduated in August had he not turned in a blank exam in Intermediate Macroeconomics back in May, I will just say that I am proud of him for finally getting out of Waco. He would say that, while he loves Baylor, it couldn't come soon enough.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home