Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Crusher Have I Loved

November 2nd was a sad day. No, not the election. Unlike the remainder of the People's Republic of Austin (except the 40% of the law school that wants to go into corporate law), I voted Republican. Why? Because I am an upper-middle class WASP.

Moving on...the reason it was a sad day is, as the reference to the classic Katherine Patterson young adult novel suggests, the Crusher has left us.

I will miss his random outbursts and songs. I will miss his laughter - too loud and at Chantal's unfunny jokes. I will miss the way his musk permeated throughout the room. I will miss the jean shorts and the 80s t-shirts. But most of all, I will miss his smile...especially when directed at that poor kid who sat next to him in Contracts.

I will have to say, however, he left our lives as he entered them - rambling and incoherent. But, his concession email was very gracious, poignant even. He blamed no one but himself. And he asked America to come together despite our differences.

God Bless you, Mark Engleson. We have lost a good man today, or at the very least, the smartest damn bear cub in America.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home